ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5462 - 06/02/04 12:46 PM Loss of system after a storm
JJLF Offline

Loc: Illinois
My Ocelot has been installed for about a year. Sunday we had bad storms with power outtages. Monday I was modifing the program and went to download it, but lost connection. I tried to set the clock, and finally reload the exc all with loss of connection. I am presently dead in the water. Any suggestions?
#5463 - 06/06/04 08:25 AM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Stephen Wilson Offline
journeyman

Loc: USA
Yes, this will take some doing but you need to confirm that your computer is okay as well.
1. Disconnect the Ocelot from the serial port you are using to connect to it and install a modem on your computers serial port.
2. Make sure you can both dial and connect to a BBS or ISP or VPN or whatever with that modem connected to the port that you use for your Ocelot. (Make sure you exit your CMax software first!)
3. If you can connect, remove the modem and reconnect the Ocelot. If your modem test fails, then you know that the store adversely effectd your computer's serial port and/or cable.
4. If the modem test passes, connect to your ocelot and see if you can see any activity on the monitor part of Cmax or even if the parameters from your Ocelot are retrievable from the Ocelot.
5. Also check your LED light status' and post them here.
6. Try uploading your executive then program.
7. If that fails, remove the battery (remove power first) from your ocelot and after 1 minute return the battery back into the Ocelot, restore power to the Ocelot and try reuploading the Excutable and Program into the Ocelot. Lets us know you you make out with this.

#5464 - 06/06/04 08:26 AM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Stephen Wilson Offline
journeyman

One more thought if the above seems overwhelming, you might have simply lost the seirla chip on the Ocelot?! It is marked 775#785
#5465 - 06/06/04 08:31 AM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Stephen Wilson Offline
journeyman

Oops! Sorry, line noise as I AM using a modem to access the internet.... the chip is an 8 pin chip marked: 75176, it is located right next to the RJ-11 jack on your Ocelot.
#5466 - 06/06/04 02:50 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Robert Jenkins Offline
active contributor

Loc: Worksop, UK
Hi,
I think the 75176 is the Adnet bus interface?

The RS232 interface chip is a MAX232 or MAX202, if I remember correctly.

#5467 - 06/06/04 08:08 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
ADI Tech Support Moderator Offline
old hand

Loc: Branson West, MO
The 75176 is the rs485 communications chip that controls communications between the controler and the modules. The RS232 chip controls communications between the controller and the PC.

Kevin Barrett
ADI Tech Support

#5468 - 06/14/04 05:51 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Bill Stock Offline

This just happened to me too! No power outages, but some VERY close lightning strikes.

I lost a camera to and the rain and discovered that my motion sensors were out as well. The HomeSeer log tells me that the Ocelot is timing out. I tried to attach to the Ocelot using the CMax software, but I get a lost connection error.

Don't have a modem to test the com ports, but I can move the UPS around. LEDs are IR/X10 green, Active occaisionally green and comms flashing red. Both Secu16 are flashing red I believe.

#7 Did not know the Ocelot had a battery?

Does this mean the RS232 chip is socketed?

Thanks.

#5469 - 06/14/04 05:58 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
How many blinks does the Active LED do? Since you mention using Homeseer, did you also have a C-Max program running in the Ocelot itself? Also, does the Comms LED on the Ocelot (and on the SECU16) blink rapidly or is it doing something else? If the Comms LED is blinking rapidly, then it might be just the RS-232 interface chip. This chip is a MAX202 or equivalent (but not a MAX232) and is usually socketed. It is located nearest to the RS-232 connector.

#5470 - 06/14/04 06:13 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Bill Stock Offline

Active LED is blinking four times.

Comms LEDs are flashing madly.

Yes, Ocelot had a program loaded. I use HomeSeer mostly for speech, based on the Ocelot variables.

#5471 - 06/14/04 06:20 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Beyond All Hope

The four flashes of the Active LED indicate that the controller is actively running the C-Max program. The normal Comms shows that the bus is being polled normally. This sounds like the lightning might have caused the MAX202 to indeed blow, given that it is the last component between the Ocelot and the PC. You might want to test the PC's serial port with something else first since it could also have been damaged. You might alternately try a different serial port or PC. If the PC serial port checks out ok, then there is a pretty good chance that replacing the MAX202 could fix your problem.

#5472 - 06/14/04 06:41 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Bill Stock Offline

Thanks Guy,

Just realized that my program is not running either. I'll drag the laptop down to the basement to be certain about the com port though.

#5473 - 06/14/04 08:51 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Bill Stock Offline

Good news is the Laptop sees the Ocelot. Bad news is that Com2 is fried on the PC. I switched it to Com1 for now, but I was using that for the UPS. Now I've got an excuse to upgrade the PC.

I noticed that each time I unplug the Ocelot, it loses it's mind. Complains about the firmware being out of date. Does this mean my Ocelot needs a new battery?

#5474 - 06/15/04 05:22 AM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Beyond All Hope

The firmware out of date message probably indicates a mismatch between your C-Max version and the executive version in the Ocelot. If you're running C-Max 2.00e, see what the "Application" version is when you "attach to controller". If you see V3.08, then you should not be getting the firmware out of date version. The executive software is written in flash memory so it should not be affected at all by power cycling. The battery is only used for the real time clock chip.

Good thing that your Ocelot is ok. Before replacing the whole motherboard in the PC, you might want to look for a serial card that you can put in a slot (assuming you have spare slots). You could then disable Com 1 in your Bios setup and have Com 1 on the card instead.

#5475 - 06/15/04 08:11 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Bill Stock Offline

Thanks again Guy,

I've had to reload the firmware 3 times, using the same version of CMax I downloaded a few weeks ago. It seems each time I unplug the Ocelot, it loses the firmware. So perhaps it did not come through unscathed. I will do one more test to be sure.

#5476 - 06/15/04 08:20 PM Re: Loss of system after a storm
Beyond All Hope

To be sure, could you report the actual C-Max version and the Application version that you see on your screen? Also, what happens if you click on "Cancel" when it prompts you to reload the executive...does it still work ok? Just to illustrate, I've had times when I had a new (beta) version of the executive and I would get this message every time I attached to the controller, but clicking on cancel allowed me to continue on without a problem. The reload message doesn't mean the executive was lost, but that the version number is not the one that C-Max is expecting.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 49 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Ocelot not working
by JPO
11/08/17 06:02 AM
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
4004 Topics