ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4629 - 12/31/03 07:58 PM New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
JoeZakar Offline

Like many of you, I chose to initially load CMAX 2.0e rather than the version that came with the Ocelot. Unlike many of you, I didn't receive any "lost connection" messages when I reloaded the executive. CMAX now shows that I have firmware version 8.31/243 and application version 3.08. However, during the course of the reload, I noticed that the previous application version was 9.79 so I may not be able to discount the "bad chip" theory.

My problem is that the X-10/IR LED on the Ocelot is not on when it is connected to the PSC05. I am using the cable that came with the Ocelot and the LED on the PSC05 is lit. The COMMS LED is not lit and the Active LED blinks 4 times periodically (I loaded a simple program into the Ocelot to see if it would work).

I have tried Sending X10 On and Off commands directly with CMAX and have seen no activity from the X-10/IR LED or the LED on the PSC05. I have noticed that when I first plug the cable into the Ocelot, the X-10/IR LED comes on for about two seconds before it stays off. I haven't tried continuity checking the cable yet, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced or recognizes this problem.

Thanks,
Joe

#4630 - 12/31/03 08:19 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
I can't say I've seen this particular set of symptoms before but it sure looks like something is wrong with the X10 signal chain. The fact that the X10/IR LED doesn't come on is the problem here. One thing (based on what happened to another forum member once): take the cover off the Ocelot (4 screws) and look at the 6 chips that are all oriented horizontally. Do they all have the end notch indicating pin #1 pointing the same way? If the longest one (labelled with something like "OSC 55" or a different number) is differently oriented then the others, then power off the Ocelot, unplug the chip carefully and plug it in with the notch aimed like the others. Then try it again.

The 4 blinks of the "Active" LED indicates normal operation when a program is loaded and running. If you have no expansion modules, it is normal for the "Comms" LED to be always off.

#4631 - 12/31/03 10:05 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

CMAX now shows that I have firmware version 8.31/243

/243 indicates a problem.

This is not a valid PIC version number.
Like Guy suggested, take a look at the skinny 28 pin chip.
It should have a label like OCE55.

It is acting like a very old Leopard I PIC V.13 chip. (256-243 = 13)

Dan

#4632 - 01/01/04 06:30 AM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
JoeZakar Offline

I checked the orientation of the chips and they all face the same way, including the "ICOCELOT58" chip. I don't know where I got the V8.31/243 from because I fired it up this morning and it now shows V8.31/58 (Application is still V3.08). My apologies for that erroneous piece of information.

I did a continuity check of the cable and found no shorts or opens. Previously, I reported that the X-10/IR (green) LED came on for a couple of seconds when I first connected the cable to the Ocelot with the PSC05 connected to the other end. Now, here's where I put my engineering degree in jeopardy. It turns out that this same thing happens even if the PSC05 isn't connected to the other end. I can't imagine that the Ocelot can tell when just a 24-foot cable is attached to it, but this is very repeatable.

Just to verify the cable further, when I look at the ends of the two connectors oriented with their tabs up, I see Black, Red, Green, Yellow on one and Yellow, Green, Red, Black on the other. Is that what I should expect?

Thanks,
Joe

#4633 - 01/01/04 06:46 AM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Beyond All Hope

If your description of the conductor colors is what it sounds like, then that could be the problem: a mis-oriented connector. When you hold up both ends of the cable and place both plugs the same way, the color sequence from left to right should be the same on both sides, not a mirror of each other like you indicate. The mirror orientation is normal for a phone cable and is known as a "rollover" cable. To be sure, compare the Ocelot cable against a regular phone cable.

#4634 - 01/01/04 07:15 AM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
JoeZakar Offline

You are correct, Mr. Lavoie. I just built a cable with the connectors oriented the other way and it works. Thanks to you and Dan for your help. For the record, I purchased this system from ASIHOME.

Joe

#4635 - 01/01/04 07:27 AM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Beyond All Hope

So now there is joy in JoeZakar-land... Good

Have fun!

#4636 - 01/01/04 12:53 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
BigBrownDog Offline

Loc: Collinsville, IL (St. Louis Ar...
Here's another Ocelot noob with the same problem as JoeZakar - brand new Ocelot (just purchased from Worthington) and I have the exact same symptoms - no green lite when I connect up the PSC05 to the Ocelot with the included cable. When I look at the RJ-11 connectors side by side, I see the "mirrored" color pairs as described above. I guess I'll have to chop off the end and rewire it and see what happens.

FYI, the RJ-11 cable was in a plastic bag with the part no. LR-69215(F4) on it....

Matt Cleland

#4637 - 01/01/04 01:12 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
BigBrownDog Offline

Loc: Collinsville, IL (St. Louis Ar...
Well, that fixed it. I guess ADI got a batch of incorrect RJ cables in the mix somewhere along the line. Now off to start programming....

Matt Cleland

#4638 - 01/01/04 04:57 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Beyond All Hope

Looks like some cable crimper's mind was on an early Christmas vacation

#4639 - 01/17/04 06:50 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Lorien Pratt Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoeZakar:
[qb]Like many of you, I chose to initially load CMAX 2.0e rather than the version that came with the Ocelot. Unlike many of you, I didn't receive any "lost connection" messages when I reloaded the executive. CMAX now shows that I have firmware version 8.31/243 and application version 3.08. However, during the course of the reload, I noticed that the previous application version was 9.79 so I may not be able to discount the "bad chip" theory.

My problem is that the X-10/IR LED on the Ocelot is not on when it is connected to the PSC05. I am using the cable that came with the Ocelot and the LED on the PSC05 is lit. The COMMS LED is not lit and the Active LED blinks 4 times periodically (I loaded a simple program into the Ocelot to see if it would work).

I have tried Sending X10 On and Off commands directly with CMAX and have seen no activity from the X-10/IR LED or the LED on the PSC05. I have noticed that when I first plug the cable into the Ocelot, the X-10/IR LED comes on for about two seconds before it stays off. I haven't tried continuity checking the cable yet, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced or recognizes this problem.

Thanks,
Joe[/qb][/QUOTE]

#4640 - 01/17/04 06:52 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Lorien Pratt Offline

I am also a new Ocelot owner. I wanted to add my information to the above list. I had exactly the same symptoms: no green X10 light, but it comes on briefly when plugging in, whether there's anything on the other end or not.

Checked my RJ cable and sure enough, it's wired mirrored.

Replaced it with a regular phone line, wired straight through, and everyhing works.

Go figure...

#4641 - 01/28/04 01:44 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
vmystl Offline

Loc: St. Louis
I'm a new owner of an Ocelot system. I also expperienced problems with the communication cable supplied with the system (No Green Light). The communication cable shipped with the system was mis-wired (crossover cable)
Clipped one end and rewired, system now functional.

#4642 - 02/12/04 05:02 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Todd R. Offline
active contributor

Loc: CA
After ordering a new PSC05 interface ($23), I found this post, and yes, mine was mirrored as well!

I chopped up an extra phone cable and now it's working.

Can Adicon post a note to all distributers, or something??

Todd

#4643 - 02/12/04 05:05 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
ADI Tech Support Moderator Offline
old hand

Loc: Branson West, MO
I spot checked our cables and even opened some ready to ship Ocelots and Leopards. All the cables I found were correct.

Never the less, I will spread the word.

Kevin Barrett
ADI Tech Support

#4644 - 02/12/04 07:39 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Todd R. Offline
active contributor

Loc: CA
How about sending me a replacement cable, or even a temp bobcat, in lieu of the extra PSC05 I bought! Not to mention the extra hours I spent trying to figure it out.

Well, at least an Ocelot mousepad??

Todd

#4645 - 02/12/04 07:51 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Todd,
Right after the first report, Kevin Barrett checked our cable stock and finished goods stock.

All cables were OK.

Somehow, some units were shipped with reversed cables. So far, we have had about 6 reports.

I'm not sure how it happened. We buy the cables in 500 piece qty's.

E-mail me, I'll have the sales guys pull something out of their sales goodie bag.

ddboone@appdig.com

Dan

#4646 - 02/12/04 08:04 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Chrislef Offline
journeyman

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Well I just got my Ocelot today and set it up only to discover the same problem!

This is suppose to be the new batch. They have been back ordered for a little while...

So I modified the cable as Guy said so that when the connectors are side by side the colours repeat in the same sequence. The X-10 Link light is now on, on the Ocelot, but still can't send.

I moved the PSC05 to an outlet 20 feet away and nothing has changed...

#4647 - 02/12/04 08:09 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Beyond All Hope

Does the LED on the PSC05 at least blink off when you try to send X10? Try sending X10 with the controller utilities under "X10" to begin with. For example, to turn on a light at A/1, click on "A", on "1" and click "send", then click on "A", "ON" and click on "send" again. The PSC05 should blink off once each time you click on "send" and the light should turn on.

#4648 - 02/12/04 08:15 PM Re: New Ocelot owner with X-10 problem
Chrislef Offline
journeyman

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gi Guy.

The LED on the Ocelot blinks off then on, but the red led on the PSC05 stays on steady.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 49 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Ocelot not working
by JPO
11/08/17 06:02 AM
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
4004 Topics