ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3138 - 03/18/03 09:44 AM X-10 received but not sent
kjheu Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin
I have learned a great deal reading through these forums and all the great information they contain. I just recently hooked up my Ocelot am having fun playing with it. But I am having problems sending X-10 signals. I have read about the TW-523 and its shortfalls and I am wondering if the problems I'm having are caused by those. If I send an X-10 command with a controller I can see the command using C-Max to monitor X-10 and I get a response from the light(s). But trying to send a command using the Ocelot I get no results . I see the command in the monitor, but the light(s) don't respond. Do I need to "mod" my TW-523?
Thanks for any help.

KJHeu

#3139 - 03/18/03 09:54 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
You might need one of the mods, but there are a few tests you need to do first. The most important one is: look at the LED on the TW-523 (or PSC-05) when the Ocelot is transmitting X10; does it really blink "off" (as opposed to dimming very slightly)?

The other thing (since you're new to the Ocelot) is to make sure you're sending the command pair that you need to get a light to turn on or off. In C-Max, use the "THEN Quick ON/OFF" command to do this. If you're doing it in the C-Max utilities, you'll need to send two commands, for example: A/1, followed by A/ON.

#3140 - 03/18/03 10:21 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
kjheu Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin
Thanks for the quick info Guy. I will check on the LED when I get home tonight and verify the way I am sending signals from the Ocelot.

KJHeu

#3141 - 03/18/03 06:37 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
JC Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mascouche, Quebec, Canada
Does Guy ever SLEEP? Does his wife forward his mail to his computer room.

Moderating these forums is a full time job.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT, but ADMIRATION, and Canadian to boot.

#3142 - 03/18/03 07:15 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Beyond All Hope

My brain uses ladder logic to sleep between emails...

Goodnight folks!

#3143 - 04/08/03 06:30 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Bill Young Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I appear to be having this same (or very similar) problem. Here are the details in my situation:

All tests done with C-Max (code editor V2.00a)

Firmware V8.23/15, Application V3.03

I am able to monitor X10 commands just fine. The light on the TW523 blinks when a command is received from the power line.

When I first plug the unit in, after being off for a while, I am able to send X10 commands. The light on the TW523 does blink when sending. At some point things get wedged and I can no longer send X10 commands (the X10/IR light on the Ocelot goes off then on, but the TW523 light does not go off or even dim slightly). If I unplug the Ocelot and the TW523 for a short period of time, it doesn't help. I seem to need to leave it off for a long time (haven't fully quantified this yet) before it will start working again. Again, I am able to receive X10 commands even when I can't send them.

I've tried different straight through phone cords, checked the connections, re-downloaded the executive, etc.

Normally I use the Ocelot on a Linux system using xalib. My first sign of problem was when cpuxad froze upon startup. I can't get cpuxad started at all on the Linux system any more even though I can occassionaly get the Ocelot working with C-Max on a Windows system.

This Ocelot has been in continuous use for about a year and a half.

Any ideas or is there anything else I can do to debug this problem?

Bill

#3144 - 04/08/03 06:47 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Beyond All Hope

The first thing you should at least do is get the latest C-Max 2.00d from the appdig website (just follow the Adicon 2500 links).

As a test for your problem, have you tried unplugging just the TW-523 (or just the Ocelot) for a "long time" and see which one appears to need this long time to recover? That would be a good first step.

#3145 - 04/09/03 09:54 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Dave Everson Offline
junior

Loc: Mosinee WI
Has anyone figured out where all the G1 signals are being sent from? It seems kind of odd that so many people have the same problem. I get probably get 100 a day. And I have nothing on the G house code. I'm using CMAX 2.00d
Thanks

#3146 - 04/09/03 10:23 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Beyond All Hope

The exact cause of those G1's remains a mystery. Some people get many, others get none. It appears to be a monitor program problem (in the sense that a CM11A logging the same activity will not get them, plus the fact that if you have a C-Max program look for "IF Receive Single X10 G/1", it doesn't see any...). John Warner (if I remember correctly) did some tests to determine this.

#3147 - 04/09/03 11:54 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
John Warner Offline
old hand

Loc: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
What a memory Guy!

It was in fact, John Warner...

Here's the thread in question:

Phantom G/1 codes in Cmax X10 monitor

#3148 - 04/09/03 07:50 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Bill Young Offline

Thanks Guy.

I'll try that this weekend and get back to the list with the results.

Bill

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guy Lavoie:
[qb]The first thing you should at least do is get the latest C-Max 2.00d from the appdig website (just follow the Adicon 2500 links).

As a test for your problem, have you tried unplugging just the TW-523 (or just the Ocelot) for a "long time" and see which one appears to need this long time to recover? That would be a good first step.[/qb][/QUOTE]

#3149 - 04/13/03 06:07 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Bill Young Offline

Guy,

I updated to C-Max 2.00d and gave things a try again this weekend. Things seemed to stay stable and I was able to send and recieve for an extended period of time.

I don't know if the C-Max update was what stabilized things for this problem or some other variable (I can't think of anything that I did differently this weekend compared to last weekend). I'm still having trouble with using the Ocelot with xalib under Linux. I have to collect some more information and move this problem to a more appropriate forum for xalib.

Thanks for your assistance,
Bill

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Young:
[qb]Thanks Guy.

I'll try that this weekend and get back to the list with the results.

Bill

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guy Lavoie:
[qb]The first thing you should at least do is get the latest C-Max 2.00d from the appdig website (just follow the Adicon 2500 links).

As a test for your problem, have you tried unplugging just the TW-523 (or just the Ocelot) for a "long time" and see which one appears to need this long time to recover? That would be a good first step.[/qb][/QUOTE][/qb][/QUOTE]

#3150 - 05/17/03 06:11 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Freezer Offline

I also seem to be a victim of the X10 'received, but not sent' problem. Everything has been working fine up until last night....I sent a couple of X10 commands from the Ocelot (triggered by the serial port) and everything was fine....a little later I sent another command to turn a bedroom light on (A1) and the hall light turned on (A6)....I sent another command (A1 again) and all the lights in the house came on....then I tried again and now nothing is happening.
When I transmit X10 commands from an X10 controller the Ocelot X10 monitor shows the commands being sent; the PSC05 blinks on/off.
When I try to send the same command directly from the Ocelot X10 send utility(2 command sequence) the X10/IR light blinks on/off once, but the PSC05 light does not blink at all.
I just got the Ocelot (less than 2 months old).
I am running C-Max 2.0d; I have tried everything mentioned in the forums I could find -
unplugged the Ocelot and PSC05 overnight; reload the executive and reload my program.
No, I have not plugged anything new into any outlets...As mentioned above, I was using the Ocelot as the problem started to happen....

One other observation - I have loaded over 200 IR commands into the Ocelot and use ASCII commands from an external program (Girder) to trigger them - they are all working fine.....it seems to be the X10 interface only.

Any way to tell if it is a defective Ocelot or a defective PSC05 module? Any other suggestions before I start pursuing replacements/warranty exchange?

#3151 - 05/21/03 04:00 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Freezer Offline

Well I started investigating sources of X10 interference....no luck so far, but I did discover an interesting situation which is opposite to what everyone suggests. I disconnected the ocelot from my HTPC and connected it to a laptop and search the house to find an outlet that was 'clean'....finally found one and had the PSC05 successfully putting X10 commands on the line. I continued to look for the source - moving the laptop/PSC05/Ocelot around the house...nothing. I then went back and pluged the laptop configuration into the same outlet as the HTPC - everything worked! So I reconnected everything back up to the HTPC and it work for about 5 minutes, then nothing. Here is the interesting part - in that 5 minutes I UNPLUGED!! the laptop power adapter from the wall. It seems that as long as the adapter is pluged into the wall (does not have to be connected to the laptop), everything is OK. So the question now is, can the laptop power adapter be putting noise on the line that 'cancels' the noise from the mystery source?
#3152 - 05/21/03 06:54 PM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Beyond All Hope

It seems I remember of one other similar case where someone reported that a "magic" device seemed to make an otherwise inoperative outlet begin to work. The only thing I can see is that it would somehow "resonate" in a good way with the 120 kHz X10 carrier frequency. You case is even more surprising because laptop power supplies are one notorious source of signal sucking problems. Maybe yours comes from the alternate universe :eek: !

#3153 - 05/26/03 07:08 AM Re: X-10 received but not sent
Stephen Wilson Offline
journeyman

Loc: USA
...alternate universe... the same place where all of the world's left socks go to?!
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 49 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Ocelot not working
by JPO
11/08/17 06:02 AM
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
4004 Topics