ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2660 - 01/15/03 06:03 AM Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Loc: Columbia, SC
I was wondering if anyone was using an Ocelot or a Leopard for a complete security system?

Seems to me that almost everything is there to do this. Am considering getting an HAI Omni, but would rather not spend the $$$.

If I don't get the Omni, then I should be able to justify getting a Leopard and using its touch screen for a basic alarm control.

Anyone doing this??

#2661 - 01/15/03 09:25 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Loc: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
I would guess there are many people doing this?

My security system is fairly rudementry using only Texecom PIR's into a SECU and some RS horns on a SECU output as the alarm. I'm planning to add a Speakeasy as well.

My son-in-law is interfacing an alarm panel to his Ocelot/SECU. The alarm panel handles the horns, keypad and battery backup. A SECU-16I handles the door and window sensors and PIR's.

The Ocelot and Homeseer make all the decisions as to what to do in an alarm situation.

#2662 - 01/15/03 10:21 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

John,

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering what you were using for a security console? How do you arm/disarm the system, and how do you bypass zones (I know how to do this in CMAX, question is what devices are you using to do this).

Was also wondering if anyone is using the Ocelot to dial out to a monitored security agency to report status? Haven't really looked into it yet, but it appears on the surface that I could probably do this with using either a serial Bobcat (send only) or if not with the Ocelot serial port.

Anyone know what the protocol is for this, assuming there is a standard? Anyone tried this? And if so, would a serial Bobcat be enough to do this (ie: do I NEED 2 way handshaking, or is it just the alarm panel sending out the info)?

Would think that I might also be able to have a voice dialout by using a voice modem connected to a Serial bobcat (or the Ocelot port) using a SpeakEasy to speak the alarm status (though this would be dialout only).

Of course, there would be no way once it spoke out the info for me to use the touchtone keypad to ask it for anything (since to my knowledge there is no way in CMAX to directly parse incoming ASCII from even the Ocelot's built in serial port).

#2663 - 01/15/03 10:42 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Brian:

As mentioned, it's my son-in-law who has integrated an alarm panel with his Ocelot.

I sent an email asking him to jump in here with some details on his setup.

Hopefully he'll provide you with the description you are looking for (since I'm not sure what panel he's using etc.)...

#2664 - 01/15/03 12:23 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

John,

I was actually asking what YOU were doing with your SECU and Ocelot. You mentioned you didn't have a security system as such, but were using the Ocelot.

How do you go about arming/disarming the system?

I understand (basically) how to integrate with a dumb security system (using SECU relays as arm/disarm/trip points, and inputs to see status).

thanks very much for your help!

#2665 - 01/15/03 01:08 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Sorry - misunderstood...

My system is an Ocelot with a SECU-16. For security, I'm just using PIR's (Elk Eclipse, made by Texecom) for detection, no door or window sensors. The PIR's are connected to the SECU and serve dual purposes. When the security system is not set, they act as occupancy sensors to reset timers I run to turn off lights (since my wife and son don't). If I get a detect in the room, the timer restarts. If no detect when the timer reaches a preset point (which varies with room, TOD etc.), the light is turned off.

The PIR's also turn ON lights under certain conditions. A couple of Eagleyes and a PR511 serve as my driveway alarm which currently just beeps/chimes but will talk soon.

When security IS set, any two different PIR's that give a detect within a 5-minute window, sound the alarm, bark the Robodog and start the VCR recording as the 4 Xcams are cycled. The two different detects prevent false alarms due to an errant PIR. When security is set, the driveway alarm also triggers the Xcams and VCR to record who came to the door while we were away.

Currently, security is set/reset by an X10 code (using a Leviton wall mounted 4-address controller) that sets a variable in the Ocelot. A beep from a UM provides audible feedback that the system is set or reset. A detect from a single PIR also provides a beep to remind us that the system is set so don't go further without reseting it.

I currently have on order an SK-983A Access Control Keypad from SECO-LARM ($34) which is standalone, fully programmable, and provides a N/O or N/C relay point that I will use on a SECU input.

I also have a SpeakEasy and a SECU-16I on order. The SpeakEasy will serve multiple purposes as well, one of which is to issue a warning in an alarm situation (something like, Warning, the police have been notified and your picture has been uploaded to the Internet - please leave immediately!)

I should mention that I live in a small rural community in Canada so a security system is more a hobby than a necessity...

Hope that helps!

#2666 - 01/15/03 04:46 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Joe Thielen Offline
journeyman

Loc: Toledo, OH
I'm using my Ocelot for security as well, in similar fashion as above. I have a SECUI16 with three door magnets (two entry doors and crawlspace) and a pressure sensor (sliding glass door).

I have a RLY8 with two relays going to a radio shack siren (one for burglar, the other for fire). One other relay activates a little piezo "beeper". Anytime a door is opened, the beeper goes off. It's great if you're sitting in the bathroom or something, and someone walks in. You know!

I have some of those little X10 keychain remotes... one at each door. The first ON turns the alarm ON, the OFF turns it off. The second ON turns on the outside lights, OFF turns them off.

It's kind of lame, I know. If someone ever comes to your house, they see the remote with an "OFF BUTTON", they'll figure it out. But still, it's cool .

Also, my alarm ON function turns off every X10 device in the house. I can leave, with the house in any state (i.e. lights on, some appliances on), and with the push of a button, have the house turn off most things, and arm the system in 30 seconds (so I have time to leave).

It's also great at night. Tired? Just go to bed. There is a remote there too. Turn on the alarm, and everything turns off. I love this stuff .

But I take it a step further. I have an ASCII bobcat connected to my Linux machine. I have a script which monitors the serial port for output. I set the Ocelot to send out a certain code if the house alarm goes off (right now, just two codes "HOUSE ALARM" and "CRAWLSPACE ALARM", soon I will have a different alarm depending on the door which was used to enter). The Linux machine sees that code, and then sends out an e-mail to my alphanumeric pager . I love it. Today my girlfriend set it off and I got paged. I freaked out and started calling. She forgot to turn the alarm off before she left!

I plan on hooking up a PIR in the central area of the house for a secondary detection measure as well.

In any case, that's my house (a 1300 Sq Ft. modular). However, my buddy has a 3000'+ home, and he is going all out. He has a background in security and is going to use both security panels and the Ocelot (previously a Leopard, but we had way too many lightning problems with that). He's got these awesome magnetic card access deals where the "card" stays in your wallet, and can be a foot away to enable access. His system isn't complete yet, but when it's all set up, it'll be absolutely crazy.

#2667 - 01/16/03 03:29 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

John and Joe,

Thanks VERY much for the very descriptive overviews of how you two are using the Ocelot for security.

I'll probably go this way in the short term and see how it goes. While I'd love the have the Omni II from what I've read, its a bit pricey when I can use what I have.

One thing I think is that I'll use the X10 wireless remote, but instead of a single X10 code, probably have a sequence to disarm the system... That way it won't be a simple OFF (with 4 buttons and a dim/bright, there's probably a few options that can be done to make it a bit more difficult).

Thanks again for the info. Once I get things running, I'll post what I have.

#2668 - 01/16/03 08:26 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Brian:

You may want to have a look at the SK-983A Access Control Keypad that I have on order to arm and disarm your system. It's really designed as a stand-alone access control device (there's one on the exit door of my mother's Nursing Home) but looks like just the ticket for arming and disarming my security system. And, it's only $34 at Worthington.

http://www.seco-larm.com/SK983A.htm

You, of course, need a free SECU input to connect it to (although I suppose you could use an X10 Powerflash if you don't have a SECU.

#2669 - 01/16/03 09:43 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Mike Cunningham Offline
journeyman

Loc: Southern NH
I have motion sensors and entry magnets going to a secu16i, so they can turn on lights and stuff, then Ocelot logic making an secu16 activate zones on a Napco security panel. It was the only way I could think of to share the sensors between the two systems. The Napco does notification.
#2670 - 01/17/03 01:28 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

John, I may try the SECO-LARM. I looked at the page and it looks like it might be what I need...

Might try an old RS alarm keypad I picked up for $5 too. Instructions say very little about it, but I might play with it. Appears that there might be a way to get it to do the same type of thing (though possibly more limited).

Once I get everything wired (few weeks due to business travel), I'll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

#2671 - 10/21/03 03:09 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
dogman Offline

Loc: New Jersey
The Texecom PIR motion detectors that John mentions above are no longer available from Worthington, or any other store I can find in the U.S..

I finally found some on ebay for just $5 each, but the seller was only offering lots of 25, so now I have about 16 spare PIRs that I don't know what to do with.

#2672 - 10/21/03 03:58 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Did you call Worthington to see if they still have them? Their site is so messed up now you can't find anything there but they are still in their catalog (page 57 - Elk Reflex PIR, $10.49).
#2673 - 10/21/03 04:47 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

I had a look at the Elk site and indeed they seem to no longer be branding Texecom PIR's (or any PIR).

Perhaps someone else in North America carries Texecom products under the Texecom name?

#2674 - 10/21/03 06:44 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

Brian:

What did you end up with for an alarm keypad?

I'm very happy with my Seco-larm, works great with the SECU!

#2675 - 10/22/03 06:43 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

John,

I actually went with a separate security system. Part of the reason for it was wife requirements :-) Part was based on desire for phone control of security, thermostat, & other status (w/o relying on a PC).

Security system is an HAI OmniPro II. I'm using the HAI console for my garage entry, but am using a Leopard II for my console on the main floor. Have the Leo connected to the OPII via a serial cable. Due to limitations in the HAI's programming, I don't have access to everything I would with an HAI console yet (but can integrate othez things the Hai doesn't know about onto the same screens).

Once ADI releases the HAI Bobcat, I'll gain additional functionality though.

I am considering adding a keypad to my front door for the maib service & would probably go with what you suggested for that.

#2676 - 10/22/03 07:35 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

I sent a note to Texecom international to ask who distributes their product in North America.

This is the response I got:

[QUOTE]Thank you for your interest in Texecom and our range of products.

Texecom products are currently available in the US through:

Alarm Security & Contracting Inc.
1802 South Padre Island Drive
Corpus Christi
Texas 78416
USA

TEL: +1 361 857 5615
FAX: +1 361 857 8607
mailto: ASCI74@aol.com />
Please contact Alarm Security & Contracting directly as they will be able to provide you with any information and products you may require.

Kind Regards,

Zoleikha Mian
[/QUOTE]

#2677 - 10/27/03 01:20 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
napoleon3rd Offline
journeyman

Loc: Spain
John, with what type of functionality did you end up with your security system?
#2678 - 10/27/03 02:41 PM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
John Warner Offline
old hand

My security system is comprised of my Ocelot, SpeakEasy, Secu16 and Secu16I. The 16 triggers several 12vdc alarms via a home-brew relay board.

I have 11 Texecom hardwired PIR's into SECU16I inputs and the system is armed with my Seco-larm keypad.

When two different "key" PIR's trigger within a 5 minute window, the SpeakEasy says Intruder alert - police have been notified and then the alarms sound, the Robodog barks, and all the lights in the house turn on.

The Ocelot also turns on the VCR and cycles through my 5 Xcams in record mode. A PIR triggered in a particular room overrides the normal cycle temporarily.

When the alarm is armed and we arrive home, the SpeakEasy welcomes us home and then reminds us to turn off the alarm.

Between midnight and 5:00 AM, the system automatically goes into "lite alarm" mode whereby the SpeakEasy announces "someone is in the _____ room for every PIR triggered throughout the house (except the ones in the bedrooms and hall to the bathroom)

#2679 - 10/28/03 08:43 AM Re: Ocelot/Leopard used for security...
napoleon3rd Offline
journeyman

Loc: Spain
Thanks John, that's a pretty extensive system.
Are you also using the Texecom PIRs for Outdoor?

I am on the verge to go for the Optex outdoor PIRs as the X10's are to trigger-easy outdoors.
There is a dual-system Optex with 2 devices, combining Microwave and Infrared, this should get rid of the wind-gust-issue where temp goes up a couple of degrees in matter of seconds tripping the simple PIRs. I didn't you encounter this kind of discussion to this depth, did you?

thx

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 49 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Ocelot not working
by JPO
11/08/17 06:02 AM
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
4004 Topics