ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1801 - 08/06/04 09:45 AM Request for C-Max Enhancement
bakers12 Offline
journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I just got around to reading a post from Joe Kane dated 5/17 and I have to agree with him 100%.

The resquest is to enhance C-Max so that X10 transmits could be based on variables the way IR transmits are.

I have hundreds of lines of If-Then-Transmit X10 statements that I spent hours entering and I would love to throw it all out in favor of using a variable.

I agree that using the packed format would be the best, then I could easily build house codes, unit codes and on/off commands.

Going one step further would be great, if possible, although it's more like icing on the cake.

I would love it if I could provide a variable, probably in X10 packed format, that could be referenced in an IF X10 Status/Cmnd Pair statement. This would be more useful in checking status than for checking for commands, probably.

In what would probably be the worst idea, from a programming point of view, could a variable be saved - instead of into another variable - into a line of code?

This way, virtually any C-Max command could be built dynamically. I think this is the most flexible, but leaves the door wide open to a huge mess as well. This kind of code is by far the trickiest to debug.

Anyway, these are just some ideas I hope could be pursued. Certainly, number one on my priority list is to build X10 transmits dynamically.

#1802 - 08/06/04 10:18 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree 100% that a variable-to-X10 command would be very useful, and have asked ADI a few times about this already. Who knows, if enough people show interest in it, it could maybe get added in a future C-Max version.

I'm somewhat intrigued by your other suggestion:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bakers12:
[qb]

I would love it if I could provide a variable, probably in X10 packed format, that could be referenced in an IF X10 Status/Cmnd Pair statement. This would be more useful in checking status than for checking for commands, probably.

[/qb][/QUOTE]Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly but you can already go from packed format X10 input queue to a variable. This is only true for incoming commands however, not for current status. Is this what you mean; add status table to variable?

#1803 - 08/06/04 11:14 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
bakers12 Offline
journeyman

Yes, you are right about my thinking regarding the X10 status request. Since the IF X10 Status/Cmnd Pair statement only allows constant house/unit code pairs when checking status, I would like to see a variable involved as well.

I'm not quite sure what format would be practical, though. Maybe the variable could contain a subset of the packed values. For example, the highest 8 bits would still be the house code, but the lowest 8 bits could only contain 0 through 15 (hex 00 through 0F) for the unit code.

Another possibility would be a new command which provides all 16 bits for a house code from the status table into a variable. That could work as long as the house code could be provided in a variable.

#1804 - 08/06/04 11:46 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Beyond All Hope

The most consistent way would simply be to use the same packed format for status, where a packed "hc/uc quick on" and "hc/uc quick off" would indicate on and off status respectively. This way, the command and the status for a given X10 address would look the same in a variable.

#1805 - 08/06/04 11:57 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
bakers12 Offline
journeyman

I think that would be easier to code as well.

I also noticed a post from John Cooper on 6/8 which refers to a code similar to mine. Maybe there are more people out there that would like a variable-to-X10 capability after all.

Is there a proper way to request enhancements or am I pretty much doing it now?

#1806 - 08/06/04 12:28 PM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Beyond All Hope

Right here is probably the best way to propose new features. The only issue is that the current version on C-Max is still quite current and bug free, and does not appear to be due for an update any time soon.

#1807 - 08/07/04 10:51 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Joe Kane Offline
journeyman

Wow, and it looked like my original request didn't have any momentum behind it...

I've got lots of lines of code that could be eliminated by the variable x-10 transmit...

#1808 - 08/09/04 06:39 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Loc: Columbia, SC
I would definitely LOVE to be able to send X10 from a variable. Definitely add me to the list of support for this.

This is one of the major limitations I see in coding using CMAX.

#1809 - 08/09/04 09:34 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
bakers12 Offline
journeyman

One thing to keep in mind was a point Guy made earlier. The product is bug-free and basically works pretty well, especially considering how little it costs for an Ocelot.

Of course, I'd feel better buying a SECU-16 or a couple of Bobcats if the Ocelot had this feature.

#1810 - 08/09/04 07:04 PM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Anonymous
Unregistered

C-Max has been very stable for a few years.
We are working on a new release, but our engineers are hesitant to risk adding bugs to a stable program.

We have a meeting scheduled Wednesday morning to discuss the next release.
I'll give everyone an update after the meeting.

One thing I can share, we are very pleased with the RF module performance and expect to release RF SECU boxes this year.

Dan

#1811 - 08/11/04 06:48 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Here's a few suggestions I'd have for a future release of CMAX that would definitely extend the capability of the Ocelot and Leopard and make things easier for us...

For the code running in the Ocelot/Leopard:

1. As discussed here, ability to send X10 via the contents of a variable.

2. Bitwise operations especially GET and SET bits (ie: SET bit 7 in variable 23 to 1), AND, OR, and NOT, would be nice, but GET and SET are the main ones. Would require using the Work Variable I imagine.

3. Ability in a program to display text stored in strings to anywhere on a Leopard screen. Right now the only way to do this is to use icons. This would be equivalent to the text serial command the Leo has. Would be nice if one could specify X,Y coords to place the text (would require a work variable I imagine).

4. Ability to place an icon at an arbitrary X,Y location under program control. (less important than 4 though)

5. Ability over the serial interface to place an icon anywhere on the screen by specifying X,Y coords (like we can do with text).

6. Ability to set a frequency and duration to tell the Leopard to beep form. Duration should be at least as granular as tenths of seconds, if possible.

7. Ability to RECEIVE serial data from a Bobcat. Would especially be nice if this could be arbitrary data, but one way would be to have the Bobcat tell the Ocelot/Leopard which string number was matched (would be nice if we could capture a single variable as well that was in the format string - in fact this would be very powerful). Know this is probably a lot of work. One tremendous use for this would be to allow an external device (say an X10 RF receiver) to be used by the Ocelot (though I know there might be a way to do this through the IR port as well).

Another way would simply let the Bobcat passthrough commands to the Ocelot/Leopard as if it were the Ocelot/Leo's built in serial port. This would allow things like using +V commands to set variables. Not as functional as the first (as it would require the device on the Bobcat end to know the Leo/Ocelot's protocol).
---
And on the Windows side of CMAX (no expected affect on the Ocelot/Leopard code):

1. Skip To LABELS. This is a biggy... We discussed this a while back (over a year ago) and I know there was some concern about it being difficult. However, I believe there is an easier way to implement this. I can dig up my response on this if needed that outlined it. This is the single biggest reason why developing in CMAX is difficult - matching up all the Skip Tos...

2. Ability in Controller Access for it to show the System Map variable and timer names next to the numbers when doing a "Debug Timers and Variables". This would really make things easier.

This is just a wish list, but with these features, I'd say the Leopard and Ocelot would be MUCH more powerful and easier to program for...

If I had to pick a few that would be the highest priority, I'd say 1, 2, 3, and 7 and 1 on the Windows side.

Just my input. :-)

Thanks!

#1812 - 08/11/04 09:55 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
wlj Offline
junior

Loc: NC
Since Brian took the time to pound out a wish list, I figured that I'd throw in my vote for a number of the things he listed. In particular, I'd love to see the following from Brian's list:

Ocelot/Leopard RFEs: 1, 2, and 7 (either string # matching or variable capture; +V capture is not very useful [to me, at least])

CMAX RFEs: 1 and 2

I'd also like to request that a "Comment" column be added to the CMAX "Ascii Messages" screen, allowing for a comment to be assigned to each ASCII message. This would be _very_ helpful for debugging/sanity checking when the ASCII messages are really cryptic control codes used to interface with other devices and not self-descriptive text.

If I could only choose 1 feature to be added, however, it'd have to be bi-directional serial communication.

Thanks for your consideration!

#1813 - 08/12/04 08:01 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

One other I'd like to add for the Windows side of CMAX:

3. Ability for CMAX GUI to support CONSTANTS. This would allow for much more legible code. Right now if I use CMAX directly (and not the compiler) I define variables up front as constants, but that is a waste of variables, and I'm just about at my limit. Perhaps these could simply be added to the System Map. The downloaded code to the Ocelot would not have to know anything about them, it would just be a mapping that the GUI would map back to if used (of course I know that this is a bit more involved than this).

#1814 - 08/20/04 12:20 PM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
wlj Offline
junior

Loc: NC
I thought of two other things that I'd like to see added to C-Max, arguably both of which are bug fixes of a sort:

1) Add the ability to send any message # on a v6 Bobcat-A from the C-Max Module Utility -> ASCII Bobcat menu. As implemented, all message # choices send the same message. This "feature" has previously been documented on these boards.

2) Allow the main C-Max programming window to be resized to both show more than 27 lines of code, and to allow more of the Program Text and Comments columns to be displayed. High resolution monitors are common these days; it's a shame not to be able to take advantage of them when programming in C-Max.

Thanks!

#1815 - 09/07/04 12:04 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Envious Offline
junior

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Dan, regarding the RF SECU boxes, what are the chances of factoring in a 433MHz version for us down in Oz, where the 410MHz US frequency is not allowed (assuming of course you are looking at 410MHz for these).

Maybe an internal dip switch or something to could be included to switch between different carrier frequencies?

#1816 - 09/07/04 05:33 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Beyond All Hope

Here is the original thread describing the RF module link:

http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000089#000001

According to Dan Boone, these operate at 900 MHz.

#1817 - 10/05/04 11:48 AM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Zby8-] Offline

Loc: Belgium
I was wondering if it should be possible to have a "button pressed long", to be able to detect when a button is pressed for a period of 1 sec, in regards to short action on the keys???

By the way I think the Leo misses too much events!!! What can I do to solve this?

THX in advance, Henry8-)

#1818 - 11/07/04 08:39 PM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
Seer Offline

Loc: Australia
WLJ already said it...but I'd just like to second it:

"2) Allow the main C-Max programming window to be resized to both show more than 27 lines of code, and to allow more of the Program Text and Comments columns to be displayed. High resolution monitors are common these days; it's a shame not to be able to take advantage of them when programming in C-Max."

It's a very small thing but would make writing a large program MUCH more user friendly.

Oh yeah, and when I push "clear line" on the editor, don't pop up the window to select a new statement. If I just wanted to change the statement then I wouldn't have pushed "Clear Line".

And when somebody pushes "insert line" it would be good to offer a key-in or radio button etc. for how many lines. Right now you have to go to the end of the program and copy-paste some blank page space into the area I'm adding.

And when I multiselect lines and push "delete line" it would be good if it deleted the multiselected lines instead of just 1 line.

I know this is all whiny user interface stuff but it's about lifestyle - right???

#1819 - 11/08/04 12:39 PM Re: Request for C-Max Enhancement
trevor Offline
journeyman

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Just to add a couple of cents worth ....

There are a LOT of international users of ADI products, so there are some international considerations that can be show stoppers for international use:

1. We know about power voltages and frequencies being different, so the use of transformers ("wall warts") for power needs to be maintained.

2. Almost every country has regulations about frequency use, these can be researched quite easily before deciding on a frequency for US use. Choosing the wrong frequency means you have a US-only product.

3. Daylight savings is still an issue, Ocelots and Leos in use in the southern hemisphere still change the wrong way round (AKA nothern hemisphere). As a commercial installer, this means we have to physically change every installation twice a year! (Note that I have a workaround for this)

IMHO these (ADI) products are the best on the planet, so please remember your international base when making product decisions!

Kind regards,

Trevor

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 60 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Ocelot Battery
by ADI Tech Support
09/22/17 07:38 AM
Comms Retry Error
by HDTVPete
09/18/17 04:04 PM
Cmax Message: Failed to set data for a 'delay'
by HDTVPete
09/16/17 04:36 PM
Shout Box

Newest Members