ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#24098 - 01/21/14 11:53 AM Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying?
Msradell Offline
journeyman

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
It seems like ADI never even bothered commenting on the forms anymore as demonstrated by the excessive amount of spam in a couple of the threads. They haven't come out with a new product since they announced they were manufacturing the wireless system for somebody else in 2010. Even the amount of people posting and watching this forum has gone down drastically recently.

It's an excellent platform and if it was capable of controlling something other than just X-10 it would still be among the best on the market.

#24112 - 01/27/14 07:30 AM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: Msradell]
poordom Offline
junior

Ocelot / Leopard Dying.

With the introduction of all kinds of new home automation products on the market, I think I will keep old faithful a little while longer until the smoke clears.

I think right now one of the bigger problems we are facing is the protocol selection, do you go Insteon / X-10 in order to use our existing X-10 modules, or make a 360 and go with Z-Wave or Zigbee.

I guess only time will tell.

For the time being what I would like to get is an OCELOT Plug-in.

Dom

#24132 - 02/08/14 04:52 PM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: poordom]
JeffVolp Offline
active contributor

Loc: St. George, Utah
Our Ocelot has been rock solid for the last decade. I too have been disappointed by ADI not coming out with a successor, and have looked at possible alternatives. I picked up a spare Ocelot just in case this one goes down.

Many people in the X10 community seem to be moving to PC-based automation controllers. There are a bunch of programs available ranging from free to very expensive. Most of us have an old laptop kicking around, and this is a good way to put one to good use. Unfortunately, I don't think anything running under Windows will have the kind of reliability that we have grown accustom to with the Ocelot.

Jeff

#24133 - 02/09/14 03:34 PM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: JeffVolp]
Msradell Offline
journeyman

I certainly agree that the Ocelot platform is rocksolid which is one of the things I certainly enjoy about using it. Unfortunately the x-10 protocol is losing favor and slowly dying. It certainly would be nice to keep the basic Ocelot platform and just after work through different interface so users could use Insteon (probably the easiest) or one of the other newer more reliable formats.

#24136 - 02/13/14 10:35 PM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: Msradell]
JeffVolp Offline
active contributor

Some of us are working pretty hard to breathe new life into the X10 protocol. You probably know that the originator of X10 went into bankruptcy liquidation last summer. Some or perhaps all of the assets were picked up by X10Pro-USA. They continue to manufacture the popular X10 products, and are even developing new products. Included are a new quiet relay-type wall switch and a new controller to supersede the CM15A. And many folks are using the signal boosters and powerline noise reducers that I've developed.

It all comes down to signal to noise ratio. The newer X10 devices include AGC to deal with most powerline noise. As long as we provide adequate signal levels, there is no reason why we can't achieve the same level of reliability that some of the newer protocols deliver.

Jeff

#24140 - 03/03/14 04:55 PM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: JeffVolp]
Msradell Offline
journeyman

Hopefully you are correct, Jeff. I'm still having great success with the X-10 protocol thanks to a big part on devices you have developed. Hopefully with the buyout of X10 by X10Pro-USA we will continue to see the development of new equipment and improvement on the protocol.

#24141 - 03/05/14 09:20 AM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: Msradell]
bandy Offline

Had an Ocelot sitting on my computer for years and never used it. Was using an old Enerlogic 1400e from 80s for extensive 300+ module house. I know the software and have so many work arounds that I am familiar with. I bought the ISY insteon and being IP based it is nice but runs X-10 as an after thought. My old computer running windows 98 to use for Enerlogic Dos program is dying. With repeaters and extensive filtering the X-10 system works fine. Do I take the time to learn the Cmax software and re-write my 2000 lines of code in C-max or can anybody give me a guess as to the best X-10 controller replacement? I hate starting the learning curve with something on its last legs.
#24142 - 03/05/14 10:04 AM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: bandy]
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
With X-10 itself being quite old itself and with no real new development, any controller supporting X-10 will almost certainly have some age too. If your Enerlogic controller was also based on ladder logic then learning C-Max should not be too hard. Try doing a few routines first and see how it goes.

#24143 - 03/09/14 06:42 AM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: Guy Lavoie]
JeffVolp Offline
active contributor

We have been using an Ocelot for our home automation system for over a decade now, and it has been extremely reliable. The last time I even connected to it was a year ago when I tweaked the irrigation cycles because the shrubs had grown much larger. While there is some learning curve understanding C-Max, your Ocelot would certainly be worth using.

That said, there have been reports that a new X10 controller is being designed by the company (Authinx) that acquired X10WTI assets at its liquidation last year. So there is still life left in the protocol.

Jeff

#24189 - 08/30/14 10:51 AM Re: Is the entire platform Ocelot/Leopard dying? [Re: JeffVolp]
Msradell Offline
journeyman

It certainly seems like this is becoming more true every day. If you look at this forum there has been definitely no posting on it recently. My system is still running perfectly but....

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 56 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Secu16 inputs not working correctly
by ADI Tech Support
10/03/17 06:01 AM
Ocelot Battery
by ADI Tech Support
09/22/17 07:38 AM
Comms Retry Error
by HDTVPete
09/18/17 04:04 PM
Shout Box

Newest Members