ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#18497 - 07/16/07 01:01 PM Linux based Ocelot/Leo SW
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Loc: Columbia, SC

I'm looking to move my control of my ADI network onto a small embedded piece of hardware running Linux (either a Linksys NSLU2 or Optoma ST320E thin client I'll be loading Linux on).

I was wondering if anyone had any open source software for communication with the Ocelot/Leo for Linux? I need to have the source as if I use the NSLU2 it will need to run on ARM CPUs (the Optoma uses an x86 compatible Geode), not to mention I'd like to make some minor tweaks.

I'll probably be communicating with the devices over a Lantronix EPS1 terminal server, which I'm not sure if I can find a virtual COM port driver for use with Linux - so it would probably be from my app opening a Telnet session with the EPS (another reason I'd need the source).

Anyone have anything that might help out?

#18498 - 07/24/07 08:54 AM Re: Linux based Ocelot/Leo SW [Re: Brian Raynor]
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Anyone have any suggestions?

I think I've decided to actually house this on the Optoma - which uses an x86 Geode. This guy also has a serial port, so could hook directly to the Ocelot/Leopard.

So any standard PC code would be sufficient. I will (most likely) be running this under Linux.

#18499 - 09/03/07 11:46 PM Re: Linux based Ocelot/Leo SW [Re: Brian Raynor]
chewbarker Offline

I have successfully compiled xalib, which talks to an ocelot or leopard via an RS232 interface.

Link is: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ncherry/common/cpuxad/

I am using a maxtor Network Array Storage disk, which contains embedded linux. It is similar concept to a NSLU2 where you have to use mipsel cross compiler.

I also had to go to a bit of effort compiling a RS232 driver as this is not out of the box in a Maxtor NAS, so I ended up buying a device that converts USB->RS232, but this required a driver to work.

However, having done all that it works like a charm.

I was then able to get a USB sound card to work and this saved me from having to use the Speak Easy Module.

If you need any help let me know, Ill see what I can do.

#18500 - 09/04/07 08:31 AM Re: Linux based Ocelot/Leo SW [Re: chewbarker]
Brian Raynor Offline
addict

Thanks, I'll see if I can try that.

If I do this, most likely I'll put the Lantronix serial adapter on the Ocelot, and then access it from the Linux box via Ethernet (assuming Lantronix has Linux drivers, since I've decided to use the Optoma (which is x86 based) for this, any old x86 Linux driver should work).

I think I've decided to relegate the NSLU2 as a TFTP server (for IP phones), FTP server (external access) and possibly a Twonky Media backup server (my primary is on a Buffalo LinkStation). Probably a better use for that, and putting any HA related stuff on the x86 based Optoma would probably make my life easier trying to find drivers and such. :-) We'll see - I have yet to load Linux on this box, but finally have the cable I need to put a drive in it.

Will see if I can then build XALIB for this... :-)

Thanks,
Brian

#22078 - 08/28/10 10:52 PM Re: Linux based Ocelot/Leo SW [Re: Brian Raynor]
bvnoldguy Offline
journeyman

I've got Python code that runs on Linux & Windows (without modification). See my Python thread on the other subject. The code and documentation, such as it is, is out on Google code.
---
FYI COM1 == /dev/ttyS0 (Windows to Linux)
---
I am running on an Intel Atom ~= geode. Use less than 7% of half the processor (Acer AR1600 < $170 US)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 46 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
3998 Topics
23424 Posts

Max Online: 132 @ 11/13/16 10:07 AM
April