ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17700 - 03/11/07 10:50 PM Drawing Software
Just Another Joe Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Adanac
Often times Guy and others post drawings which are not freehand, but appear to be done on the computer. Two general classes that I am interested in are schematic diagrams, and layout drawings such as drawings (with dimensions) of enclosures or other structures, or pictoral-type wiring diagram drawings, etc.

What software are people using to do these two different types of drawings? Is there any freeware for this?

#17701 - 03/12/07 07:30 AM Re: Drawing Software [Re: Just Another Joe]
Guy Lavoie Administrator Offline
Beyond All Hope

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
For simple schematics, I've been using the Paint program in the Windows accessories. Its free and I'm cheap! For fancier diagrams I have seen Visio used for that. It has electrical symbols built-in for things like resistors, chip outlines, etc.

#17702 - 03/12/07 08:24 PM Re: Drawing Software [Re: Guy Lavoie]
Just Another Joe Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Adanac
Well, at those prices, I'll admit to being cheap as well . I'd like to find some good freeware.

But man, Guy, if you did those schematics, drawings, etc. (such as in the 'Build an infrared (IR) blaster', 'Send Insteon commands with your ADI controller', etc. threads) using Paint, then you did an excellent job!

For schematics (and PCB layout), I've found the free ExpressPCB.

For floor-plans, the free Envisioneer Express 3.0 looks interesting.

But for object drawings with dimensions, etc., it's a bit more difficult. I've found the free CadStd Lite 3.67. It looks like it may do a good job, but has a definite learning curve.

Then there is the free Eagle Layout Editor from CadSoft (Envisioneer Express is also from CadSoft). The installation .exe would not install; it was exactly the same problem as I had with C-Max on XP SP2 before the new build of C-Max. [I got C-Max installed manually, and so haven't tried the new build to see if it would work.] However, these guys specifically make mention of this problem on the download page, and provide a .zip file for when the .exe won't work. So, I got it installed from the .zip file. It's more of a schematic/pcb layout editor, but in a brief tryout I found it more difficult than ExpressPCB.

And, I found DesignWorkshop Lite and Serif DrawPlus 4.0. Both are free. DesignWorkshop was recommended in a forum post. DrawPlus from Serif I found in a search; I purchased Serif's PagePlus PDF 8 some years ago, and have found it excellent.

So, I really wanted to try these two, but unfortunately, both of them refuse to install with exactly the same problem as mentioned above. If anyone else running XP SP2 has success in installing any of these problematic programs, please let us know.

Perhaps these links may be of help to others. And if anyone has any other recommendations, they would be appreciated.

#17703 - 05/10/07 02:04 PM Re: Drawing Software [Re: Just Another Joe]
Larry Pitman Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
There is also the OpenSource stuff from OpenOffice.org that competes with MS-Office and Visio, only it too is free under GPL.
#23571 - 07/10/13 08:43 PM Re: Drawing Software [Re: Larry Pitman]
Collier Offline

Hello guys, It's really nice meet you all people and you all people seems professional and experienced person in the computer field that's why I came for getting some suggestion for editing photo software. so please suggest me a software which could me change the background some little thing.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dan Smith, Monte G, ADI Tech Support, Guy Lavoie 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 56 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Comms Retry Error
by HDTVPete
09/18/17 04:04 PM
Cmax Message: Failed to set data for a 'delay'
by HDTVPete
09/16/17 04:36 PM
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats