ADICON Support Forum Applied Digital, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14534 - 01/31/03 09:22 PM Automating a new modular home #2A - The cabinet - Part 1
Joe Thielen Offline
journeyman

Loc: Toledo, OH
At first, I just had my Ocelot & SECU16I (I didn't have the RLY8-XA yet) mounted to a piece of wood, and had it sitting in my spare bedroom (computer room!) near my Linux box. At that point I was still running wires, so I had wires poking out of walls near every TV, and in every room for ethernet, audio, & telephone. However, after getting all the wires ran, I cleaned up all the holes in the walls with nice looking modular plugs (RJ45, RCA jacks, & telephone jacks). They work, and look, great!

Then came time to move the Ocelot. I wanted something that looked cool, as well as was functional and provided future expansion. Then one day Cameras007 was over, and we decided to knock down some spaces in the drywall between some studs in my laundry room to make a recessed cabinet!!! It turned out great.

We created three panels. Each panel has a 2" conduit running down to the crawlspace. In addition, there are 2" conduits running between panels.

#14535 - 01/31/03 10:32 PM Re: Automating a new modular home #2A - The cabinet - Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kewl!
Dan

#14536 - 01/31/03 10:43 PM Re: Automating a new modular home #2A - The cabinet - Part 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me know when you are ready.
This looks really nice.
I'm putting your application up NEXT!
Dan

#21509 - 12/06/09 06:20 PM Re: Automating a new modular home #2A - The cabinet - Part 1 [Re: Joe Thielen]
Joe Thielen Offline
journeyman

Loc: Toledo, OH
Hello out there everyone in Ocelot-land.

Just a quick note to say that my Ocelot system has been continuously running since late 2002 (when I built my house). I've only had maybe two or three occasions where I've had to manually reboot the system. On those occasions there was some issue with the main clock which required the ADI software to reset. After that, it went about its business for another few years.

The system pretty much just runs. One addition I've made over the years is a Global Cache network IR/Serial unit. For years I had a serial cable ran to a Linux server which I used to control the Ocelot system via a web-based interface. Recently with all the "Green" initiatives, I retired my home automation Linux server with a Dell netbook which consumes around 30watts (or so) of power. This unit didn't have a serial port, plus I wasn't intending on putting the netbook in the same location I had my previous Linux server. I already had the Global Cache unit in place for controlling IR devices in my home theater. The serial port was sitting unused, so I decided to put it to use. It works great, as long as you've only got one client trying to connect to it (i.e., one computer trying to connect to the Global Cache via the network, which then relays the info via the serial port to the Ocelot). The Global Cache works via UDP network sockets, and if one computer establishes a connection, then another one tries, the first connection gets shut down.

Anyhow, I applaud the ADI team for a fine (AND inexpensive) product which has proven itself in my setup with years of nearly maintenance free service.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 46 anonymous users online.
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Newest Members
brigiel, vevevie, zhutree, 416, saiqul
3003 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3003 Members
19 Forums
3998 Topics
23424 Posts

Max Online: 132 @ 11/13/16 10:07 AM
April